The Hungarian railways were in lack of powerful and speedy fast train locomotives. After founding MÁV in 1868 the Class I. which was foreseen for fast train locos, was an empty Class. The first Class I. machines purchased from Austria were weak and hard to maintain. The first locos designed directly for MÁV service were the later Class 220 units were also poorly suited for the needs. When they appeared they were rather heavy, thus a lighter version was designed, the later Class 221. This was, however, rather error prone and thus shortly later, when the track maintenance allowed, the heavier Class 220 was purchased again. In parallel with these locos a new, much more powerful Class was developed, the larger Woolf-tandem Class 222. This was a successful construction but its complex tandem machine was expensive to build and difficult to maintain. Thus in the last years of the 19th century both Classes were purchased in parallel.
In the year 1900 the Hungarian Locomotive manufacturer MÁVAG designed a new, modern, high boilered locomotive, the Class 201 Atlantic and her compaund engine sister, the Class 202. Long trials followed with these new locos but it turned out, due to their relatively small boiler they were not basically more powerful than the earlier Class 222. No series production followed the prototypes.
A new high powered Atlantic was designed instead, the later Class 203. The members of this Class were powerful enough, but due to the 4-4-2 arrangement these engines had limited traction force to haul heavy Pullmann-type cars. Thus MÁV cancelled the order after putting 24 engines in service and required a new, even more powerful design with 4-6-2 Pacific arrangement.
This was the Class 301, a strong four cylinder DeGlehn machine with large size boiler. She could perform all tasks the Railway wanted. Her heavy axle load, however, limited her application to the two most important mainlines of Hungary.
The main rod drives the first drivers. This results in increased vertical forces on the crosshead guides and later on the maintenance observed ruptures on the mainframe behind the cylinder block. This was corrected by riveting a vertival triangular steel plate there.
A new tender was also designed for these machines. Its base and trucks are the same as the tender of the Class 301, but it can contain more coal and less water. Probably it was considered these light engines stop more often when they can take water.
136 engines of the series production were manufactured in a rather short time. In August 1914 the last engine of this Class entered into service. Of course MÁVAG manufactured locos for other Classes too, total 546 locomotives were finished during these 22 months. If we do not count the Sundays - that era full time job was done on Saturdays - these machines were delivered in 560 consecutive working days. In general one locomotive every day.
These are small differences but good candidates to build two slightly different models.
After the WW1 the Romanian Army occupied East-Hungary and took away 61 locomotives of the Class, these became members of the Romanian CFR fleet. For long time the Romanian fast train service was based on these locomotives. Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia got 22 and 32 engines respectively, only 25 pieces of the original 140 remained in Hungary. They performed the same service tasks as their successors, the Class 328 locos.
During the WW2 several Class 327s returned to Hungary from the neighbouring countries and the 327 was one of the few locomotive Classes counting more members after WW2 than before.
The Class 327 remained in active service until the mid 1960s. Most of them were withdrawn and scrapped between 1964 and 1966, a few examples remained active until 1969.
Only one single Class 327, the 327,141 (originally 327,016) survived. She was used as steam boiler on wheels, thus her cylinder blocks and rods were removed and scrapped. Today she is in the big hall of the museum locomotive repair shop in Istvántelke, but her future is still uncertain.
Forward to the Class 327 model building page
Back to the model building main page
This page was modified last time on February 7th 2009
© János Erô